David Owen was born in Zimbabwe in 1956 and grew up in Malawi and Swaziland. He completed his education in South Africa and then spent some years working in London. He migrated to Australia in 1986 and lived in Melbourne for four years. He is now settled in Tasmania.
Say it's not so, but detective squads still put their faith in the whiteboard and texta, brainstorming difficult cases. Like this:
- Hildvi dies. Accident, suicide, murder?
- Wayne, distraught.
- Josh, Ange, impeccable alibis.
- Mrs Ellicott swears she heard a scream.
- Kurt Cowboy - mysterious, dangerous, no known ID.
- Operation Centipede - Brisbane, "colourful identity" Marko Kaljurand.
- Fishscale, Charlie, Blow, Wogan = best quality cocaine.
- Uluru... Sorry, wrong whiteboard? No. Correct whiteboard. Add Alice Springs.
Seeking answers to myriad tricky questions, Detective Inspector Franz Heineken, aka Pufferfish, aka long-time Aussie blow-in, knows where he must go - to the two Australian places he never wanted to investigate, let alone re-visit: the fabled Red Centre, and his ethically questionable past.